Monday, April 4, 2016

Game programming is different and challenging!

Game programming, compared to average software development, pfff...

It has really surprised me. I know that if you go to physics engine level, then you have to be very fond of mathematics and algorithms, but even this level of quite simple game programming requires more and diverse skills than my normal project. The game engine I am making (https://github.com/Hachitus/FlaTWorld) presents tasks and interesting challenges that I really don't encounter in normal javascript software programming. I like it!

And I hate it!

Rambling about math

My mind is not math-oriented, I actually did like mathematics in elementary school, but after that I started disliking it. My mind does not bend on abstract concepts that well and when you get to higher mathematics (and talking about college higher class mathematics, which is not even very high), my mind has troubles processing the data. Normally in programming that is not an issue, my mind is able to process programming as the concepts are still pretty concrete and solid.

So why I started talking about mathematics, is because game programming requires it. In my case even as simple situations as calculating clicks on the screen, related to hexagons. That has been one of my achilles heels, in my game project. Other one was using ES6 modules. Or not really using them, but trying to bundle them for production. I spent ~50h and couldn't get the project running with it, so I reverted to globals. Not a good solution, but that was unfortunately my only option at that point.

But I get over them eventually, that is at least something I have learned in programming so far. You always get past obstacles, if you try hard enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment